My latest vlog brings up the issue of how much pre-release information about a game is too much. I’ve written about this before, but have had some new thoughts on the matter. What raised this was the possibility of taking part in the beta for Torment: Tides of Numerera, one of the games I’m most looking forward to this year. There’s a small part of me that wants to see things first, but a bigger part of me that wants to wait for the final product.
How do you feel about this topic?
I’m not generally a fan of posts that spew negativity and have nothing nice to say… but today I am grumpy, and I just can’t help myself.
How do I hate Beta? Let me count the ways:
- I hate that it’s rarely available when I want to play. I know patches and updates are important, but the servers are down more often than they are up when I try to log on.
- I hate that not all of my preferred mods work. Playing with the defualt UI makes my eyes hurt.
- I hate that it’s difficult to report a bug. Hot tip: If you want people do do QA on your game, for free, don’t make it difficult to log bugs. These greyed-out buttons – bad! Very, very bad. And seriously, if you’re not going to let people report bugs in-game, why tease them by having these buttons here at all?
- I hate it when I can’t hand in quests.
- I hate that there are no premade 90s. Some people just like to raid. I want to raid test, but I don’t want to level to 90. Why? Well, first of all, I don’t want a million spoilers before the game is even realeased. I don’t want to do the quests twice. I don’t want to sink 10-12 hours into something I’m going to have to do all over again on September 25th.
- I hate roll-backs. I hate that yesterday when I logged off before a server shutdown I was 90% of the way to level 89, and when I logged on next I was 59% of the way to level 89. As someone who wasn’t thrilled about leveling in the first place, this is the nail in the coffin as far as my having anything but negative thoughts about the whole beta experience.
All right. I’m done. Rawr.
Wait… no. I will say something nice.
This is my new pony. It is spiky and I love it.
Tonight, I’ve been invited to join Arielle, Reesi, Lissanna and Clay on the Team Waffle Podcast. Graylo of Gray Matter will also be joining as we talk about Druids in the beta and recent Druid updates.
The podcast records tonight (May 25) at 11pm EST and you can listen live on twitch.tv. Hope to see you there!