Sha of Pride is the fourth and last boss in the Vale of Eternal Sorrows, before you start the march on Orgrimmar. For the majority of the time it’s a single-target fight, though there are a few different kinds of adds that spawn at certain times. This fight also involves an individual resource, Pride, which you want to avoid getting as much as possible. These are tips for both normal and heroic.
At the beginning of the fight, everyone starts out with 0 Pride, which means no bad effects. Most avoidable damage gives Pride (so avoid it), along with some unavoidable abilities.
There are two debuffs which go out throughout the fight:
1. Periodically, random people will be affected by Gift of the Titans, which makes them immune to gaining pride for 20 seconds. If the people who have this debuff group up, they will get Power of the Titans, which increases haste, damage and healing done. On normal mode, everyone can stand together for most of the fight so no action should be required. However, on heroic your raid will likely be spread out, so the people with Gift should run together, then spread back out once they get the Power buff.
2. Players will get Mark of Arrogance, a DoT which does heavy damage and must be dispelled. Dispelling gives 5 Pride.
There are a few major events which happen roughly in order and repeat throughout the fight:
1. Self Reflection is used on random raid members and creates a Reflection of Pride add at their location. It also puts a small, bubbly purple void zone down at the spawn spot which should be moved out of as it does heavy damage and gives Pride. The Reflections should be grouped up in the middle and AoE’d down.
Heroic Only – Around the time Self-Reflection is cast, the Sha will also cast Banishment, sending a few players to the Sha Realm. Banished players leave behind a hostile copy of themselves, which must be killed in order to get the player unbanished.
2. Corrupted Prison will trap players (2 in 10, 4 in 25) in glowy circles spread around the boss. While players are trapped they are stunned, gain Pride and take damage. To release them, players must stand on each of the glowing yellow titan locks around the prison. All locks must be activated at once.
3. The boss will summon Manifestations of Pride (1 in 10, 2 in 25), a large add which will chain cast Mocking Pride and will give Pride to whoever is closest when it dies. These should be silenced and gripped into the group if possible so they can be killed by everyone. They should also be interrupted as much as possible.
4. Swelling Pride is cast when the boss reached 100 energy and is the most dangerous part of the fight. It inflicts massive shadow damage on all players, along with a secondary effect on anyone with 25 or more Pride. Anyone with 25 or more Pride should get away from the group before Swelling Pride is cast.
- 25-49 Pride – Creates a mass of Sha corruption, Bursting Pride, which does damage to anyone within 5 yards after 3 seconds.
- 50-74 Pride – Creates a Projection 15 yards away from the player. The player must find it and stand in it or it will do massive raid-wide damage.
- 75-99 Pride – Aura of Pride inflicts pulsing shadow damage to anyone within 5 yards for 25 seconds.
- 100 – You get mind controlled and wreak havoc on your raid.
When the boss reaches 30% all Pride levels are reset to 0, and it will start using Unleashed on the raid, which does heavy raid-wide damage and gives everyone 5 Pride every 10 seconds. The other mechanics continue as normal.
Extra heroic mechanic
Unstable Corruption – Rifts will continually spawn on the ground around the room and will launch bolts of corruption at players. You can tell where they will land, there’s a purple puff on the ground. Anyone hit by these will take damage and gain Pride. Players can and should close the rifts by walking over them, but can only do so once per minute because of the Weakened Resolve debuff.
Level 15 – Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimera
Deterrence and disengage are both great on this fight and you’ll want them up as often as possible.
Level 30 – Binding Shot
This can be used to help keep the reflections in place once they’re grouped in the middle.
Normal Mode – Glaive Toss
Reflections don’t stay up too long on normal.
Heroic Mode – Barrage
There are a lot of adds up when self-reflection is cast and Barrage is great for mowing them down. Make sure Barrage is available to use when Self-Reflection is being cast.
Tips for the fight
- Disengage has a ton of uses on this fight. Use it to quickly get to prisons to free people, to get out of Bursting Pride if you’re over 25 Pride during the Swelling cast, or to get to rifts quickly (on heroic). Glyph it if you don’t normally for some extra distance.
- Deterrence is also amazing. You can use it to completely deflect Swelling Pride and make your healers love you. I found I could deflect 2 in a row, but the cooldown wasn’t quite up for the 3rd. Use a healthstone after the cast if you aren’t able to use Deterrence.
- You can move and shoot, so watch your feet. You shouldn’t be taking any Unstable Corruption hits.
- You can help interrupt the Manifestation of Pride’s Mocking Pride cast. Ideally, the first cast will be silenced so the mob will move into the middle, but you should be able to get an interrupt in after. These should be your damage focus while they’re up.
- Heroic – If are banished to the Sha Realm, there is a simple pattern to move in to make sure you don’t die. Take your first left, grab the orb, go immediately left again, then go clockwise around the circle on your right (grab that orb too). This should put you out of the way of the mobs. Just don’t run into walls!
- Heroic – Make sure you can easily keep track of the Weakened Resolve debuff. It you don’t have it, you should go soak a rift.