Galakras is the 5th fight in SoO and is broken up into two parts – a siege phase where you fight waves of adds and gain control of towers, and a single target phase after you’ve shot Galakras out of the sky. Though the fight seems complex because there are so many types of mobs all with their own set of abilities, it’s actually fairly straightforward to execute. These are tips for both normal and heroic.
The goal in phase 1 is to gain control of two towers so you can shoot Galakras down and begin the last phase of the fight. The raid gets separated into a ground team and a tower team. For the first couple waves of adds, the whole raid can stay together to deal with them (I’m not going to talk about what every single add does, go read a guide for that).
Wave 3 consists of a mini-boss, Korgra the Snake, and two Ebon Stalkers. The Ebon Stalkers are more dangerous so they should be killed first. It’s at this point that your tower team (consisting of one tank, a number of dps and a couple healers) wants to head up to the South Tower, which will open shortly. The ranged dps can help kill the mobs on the ground, while the tank and melee can handle the adds in the tower. Once the tower opens, a Demolisher will spawn and start shooting at the tower. The Demo should become the priority target and should be killed before the tower team starts climbing the tower (otherwise they’ll take damage and get stunned as they’re running up). At the top of the tower is another mini-boss with a cone attack that can knock people off the tower. Once it’s dead, the tower team can re-join the ground team. Important: Have one person stay on the tower and use the cannon to shoot down all the proto-drakes flying around, this will reduce the amount of damage the raid takes considerably.
The ground team will then need to handle 3 more waves of various adds. The 7th wave will be another mini-boss, High Enforcer Thranok. He will occasionally pull all players close to him, then do a big attack. Everyone needs to get away when this happens. Around this time, the North tower will open, and another Demo will spawn. The tower team should deal with this one in the same way as the last. Once the 2nd tower has been claimed, you need one person in the cannon on top of each tower to shoot Galakras down at the same time. Make sure the adds on the ground are under control/almost dead before you do this.
The priority for killing mobs may differ a bit based on your raid team, but here are some general guidelines.
- Healing Tide Totems (dropped by Tidal Shaman) and War Banners (dropped by Flagbearers)
- Kor’kron Demolishers – so your tower team can start climbing
- Dragonmaw Bonecrushers – because they hurt the NPCs
- Dragonmaw Tidal Shamans – because they heal
- Dragonmaw Flameslingers
- Dragonmaw Grunts
Extra heroic mechanic
The Demolition Crew NPCs (the guys who open the towers for you) now get attacked by Dragonmaw Grunts and must be protected. A small team of ranged dps and a healer or two should be assigned to protect these guys until the tower opens.
In phase 2 things get much more simple. Kill off any remaining adds then, burn down Galakras. The main mechanic to deal with is Flames of Galakrond. My raid has found the best way to handle it is to split your raid into two groups and have one stand on his back left foot and one on his back right foot. The person targeted by the Flames just needs to back up a few steps to ensure it hits the group before it hits them.
Level 15 – Postehaste
If you’re assigned to the tower team then Posthaste can help get you around a little quicker.
Level 75 – Blink Strikes
Level 90 – Barrage
Mobs are often up in groups of 5 or 6 at a time, Barrage will get all of them.
Tips for the fight
- You can use Disengage to get around a little quicker if you’re running between the towers and the ground team. If you’re on top of the tower you can jump off and Disengage before you hit the ground to avoid taking too much damage/dying. You can also use it to quickly get behind the rest of the group if you’re targeted by Flames in phase 2.
- Use Master’s Call to quickly get your pet from attacking the mobs on the ground to attacking mobs by the tower.
- With so many instant shots, hunters are great for killing Banners and Totems. Make a targeting macro to make killing these even faster.
- You can help interrupt the Tidal Shaman. Chain Heal is the most important one, though generally people with a shorter interrupt should get that. You can also interrupt Tidal Wave.