It finally happened! After mulling it over and considering it for months, I’ve started a podcast with my good friend Riley!
It’s a biweekly podcast about pop culture – video games, tv, movies, books. The plan is to have the first half of the podcast be a discussion of all the media we’ve been consuming recently, and then have the second half be a more in-depth discussion and analysis of a particular piece of media or media topic.
The first episode is just Riley and I, and it’s more about introductions than analysis, but in the future we plan to have guests on to talk with us.
You can find the podcast at https://mediamavens.simplecast.fm/ or on iTunes or Stitcher.
I hope you give it a listen!
Posted in Games, Media, Podcasts, TV
Tagged books, Media Mavens, movies, podcast, pop culture, Riley, tv, video games
I just recently finished Dragon Age: Inquisition, so I thought I could share a few more tips of things I learned along the way. Based on keyword activity there are a few things my last tips post didn’t answer.
These tips are as spoiler free as possible. I name quest names, but don’t give away any actual events.
- You cannot go out and tame a dragon from the Hinterlands or anything. You can’t keep a dragon as a pet. I’m sorry.
- There is one very specific scenario in which you can make a dragon friend, who will aid you in a fight at a specific part of the game. This is decided during the quest What Pride Had Wrought. If you want to “tame” a dragon, you (the Inquisitor) need to do the thing at the end of that quest. Don’t ask a companion to do it. Don’t refuse to let anyone do it. You need to do it yourself.
Shopping and Castle Decor
- Val Royeaux is full of interesting shops that are really easy to forget about.
- In the top level of VR (you need to fast travel to it), there’s someone selling a mystery item for 10,000 gold (or whatever the currency is). This will give you access to a war table quest, which will give you some exotic mounts.
- You can buy customization items for Skyhold (like beds and windows) in a shop in the southern part of Val Royeaux.
- You can also get some Skyhold upgrades (the throne upgrades you need for the Regal achievement) through the region resource gathering quests on the war table.
- You can buy new mounts right outside of the stables (at Haven or Skyhold). New ones become available as you progress through the game.
- If you’re getting near the end and are still missing a few mounts – they’re probably from the deluxe edition DLC, you’ll have to buy them.
- You can buy your way to greater influence and more Inquisition points from the book vendor in Skyhold (near the stables)
When to progress the main quest
If you’re anything like me, you’re afraid of missing things in such a big expansive game like this, so here are some tips on when and in what order to do some things.
- While you’re on The Threat Remains quest, don’t spend too much time in the Hinterlands before visiting Val Royeaux.
- Recruit all missable companions (Sera, Blackwall, Iron Bull, Vivienne) before you start In Your Heart Shall Burn.
- It doesn’t matter if you do Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts or Here Lies the Abyss first.
- Complete Cullen’s sidequest Before The Dawn before you begin What Pride Had Wrought.
- The point of no return in the game is Doom Upon all the World. It warns you right in the war table text that this brings on the endgame.
- Once you’ve completed the game, you are able to continue playing if you still have quests or collections to finish.
There are only a couple achievements that I had to go out of my way to work towards.
- Master Alchemist – Upgrade your potions, tonics, or grenades 30 times. Because this takes a lot of herbs, I suggest you don’t go crazy with the repeatable requisition quests that use up a lot of herbs too (unless you really like gathering). You can also take the Trainee Herbalists perk (under Secrets), which will give you 50 Elfroot, and some other common herbs, which will help with this a lot.
- Botanist – Harvest 50 herbs from Skyhold’s garden. You can only grow 6 herbs at a time, so make sure you’re visiting your garden often between fieldtrips.
- Regal – Completely upgrade one throne. Upgrades are obtained through the region resource collection quests on the war table. They get applied to the throne automatically.
Good luck, have fun!
Posted in Games, Observations, Tips, Xbox
Tagged achievements, beds, books, customization, dragon, Dragon Age: Inquisition, mounts, point of no return, Skyhold, spoiler-free, throne, tips, windows
I created a new, non-WoW blog over the weekend. There’s not much on it yet, but I will be discussing and reviewing games, movies and books. If you’re interested in those things, give it a look at:
I set up the new blog using self-hosted WordPress. Thank you to everyone who weighed in on my blogspot vs. wordpress dilemma. Special thank-yous to Jen, who set up a WordPress install on her server so I could test it out and Zelmaru who gave me some much needed hand-holding and fixed all my HTML problems.
I’ve still got some stuff to do: create a header, find some new stuff to put in the sidebar, add to the blogroll, add any nifty plgins I can find. If anyone has any suggestions or critique I’m happy to hear it.
I will most likely be moving this blog over to WordPress in the near(ish) future, but I need at least a few weeks before I’ll be able to stand looking at themes again.