On this episode of Media Mavens we talk to Yussef Cole about the film Arrival. We discuss alien design, time travel and the important of language.
Our main segment is full of spoilers for Arrival.
We invited Yussef Cole on to talk about Arrival and its similarities to Mass Effect.
Guest and Topic Intro (00:00:32)
A brief intro to our guest, Yussef Cole, who writes about games for outlets such as Paste Magazine and hosts the Video Game Hour podcast.
What we’ve been up to (00:07:17)
- Persona 4 Golden
- Dishonored 2
- I Am Not Your Negro
- Hidden Figures
- Mystic Messenger Christmas DLC
- Heroes of the Storm
- Goblin: The Lonely and Great God
- King’s Quest
- The Girl with all the Gifts (movie)
- Obvious Child
- The Black Tapes Podcast
Arrival (00:51: 30)
- What is Arrival?
- Mass Effect, Arrival and Social Responsibility in Sci-Fi (Yussef’s article)
- What both Arrival and Mass Effect say about the importance of humans and working together
- How Arrival and its aliens differ from most other fiction
- The importance of language
- Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis
- Time travel
- Wasn’t this less convoluted, and therefore WAY BETTER, than Interstellar? @alatinolawyer
- Is the ending of Arrival good? @xhugglesx
- The aliens come with companions and convey language jointly. What lessons does this movie give about our beliefs on efficiency and teaching if they don’t just show a video or learn our languages to communicate? @alatinolawyer
If you’ve got any feedback, questions, people or topics you’d like to hear on future episodes of the show, you can reach out at MediaMavensCast@gmail.com or on Twitter @_MediaMavens. If you like the show, please give us a review on iTunes or Stitcher.