In the process of leveling my priest I’ve done dozens of random dungeons. While my usual strategy is to be polite and perform my role to the best of my ability, I’ve discovered that this makes me stick out like a sore thumb in most groups. If you want to make a good impression on people in LFD, you need to fit in. Here are some of the things I’ve learned about how to act in random dungeons.
- Rush towards the first pack of mobs as soon as you zone into the instance. Do not wait for buffs, do not wait to make sure everyone else has zoned in. Don’t let the fact that you zoned in with 20% health stop you either.
- Don’t ever look at your healer’s mana. This is something they need to learn to manage on their own.
- If your healer gets behind you or sits down to drink, keep going. It’s their job to follow and heal you. If you wait, you’re just encouraging them to slack off. If the healer is behind you because they’re looting their corpses, kick them from the group.
- Never pull less than 3 packs of mobs at a time. People are in a hurry to get this dungeon over with and will play better under pressure. Bonus points if you go around corners or through multiple rooms while pulling all these packs. You’re teaching your healer the importance of line of sight.
- When pulling multiple packs you only need to run past them. If people get attacked they need to learn to manage their aggro.
- Tank in your dps spec. The dungeon will go faster.
- If the tank is pulling too slowly help the group out by pulling groups yourself. Alternatively you can try to speed things up by yelling “Tank gogogogogo.”
- Attack any mob you want. The one the tank is hitting will die too quickly and you won’t have time to ramp up your damage, so dps something that hasn’t been hit yet.
- If you have an AoE spell use it exclusively.
- Keep your pet on aggressive, it will speed up the pulls.
- Keep your pet’s growl on auto-cast, it will take some pressure off the tank.
- Go AFK without saying anything, it will be a good test for the rest of the group.
- Help the run go faster by dps-ing throughout the whole instance.
- Don’t bother buying water before you queue for a dungeon, you won’t have time to drink anyway.
- If you are a priest, make sure you use Psychic Scream if a mob so much as looks at you, especially when trash packs are tightly packed. Fade is for noobs.
- If someone dies, continue to pull so the person trying to rez never leaves combat.
- If your group wipes, take that time to catch up on your email or go get a drink until the healer comes to rez you. If you have nothing else to do, just spam party chat with “Rez me,” “Heals, rez me now.”
- Call people by their class name or by “tank” or “heals”
- If you have to leave before the dungeon is finished, do so without saying a word about it. Also make sure to aggro a trash pack or seven before you leave the dungeon.
- Never admit you’re at fault. Everything that goes wrong should always be blamed on someone else.