As I mentioned last week, I recently created a new toon – a shadow priest. It feels like forever since I leveled a new character and I’ve been having a lot of fun with it. I haven’t spent this much time in-game outside of a raid in a long time. I’m attempting to level in the most “pure” way possible. No heirlooms. No gear or gold from my 80s. The only thing I did was send bags to my priest as lack of bag space pisses me off. I’m also trying to level mining without doing any smelting – I have no idea why, I think I’m just crazy.
Here are some of my impressions on leveling a new priest:
- I’m enjoying melting faces as Shadow, but I also really like that I can still heal in dungeons. Power Word: Shield is my best friend.
- No matter how many times I’m brutally killed after pulling 4 or 5 mobs at a time I keep doing doing it, thinking “I’ll live through it this time!”
- Getting mounts at level 20 is awesome.
- Spells scaling with level is extra awesome.
- I love how after level 10 you get something new every level (for the most part). A talent point on the odd levels and a new skill on the evens. This means there’s always something to look forward to. However:
- Priests get shafted between levels 21 and 27. Cure Disease, Fade, Dispel Magic – boring! Also, the talents available to you between these levels are kind of a waste. Most effect spells that you don’t even have yet.
- Random dungeons are an absolute mess. They’re filled with people in heirloom gear who run around like chickens with their heads cut off. I think every single dungeon I’ve done has had a twink rogue in them that runs off ahead to stab things and doesn’t help at all with the mobs the rest of the group is killing. At least 3 people always have aggro at one time. That said, I’ve also usually had one excellent player who is very protective of the healer (me!) and gets all the mobs off me.
- I don’t like questing in Hillsbrad Foothills. I need to find a new place to quest my way through the mid-20s.
Things I’m looking forward to:
- Devouring Plague! This time I will remember that it can only be used on one target at a time.
- Dual specs! I can’t wait to Smite-heal my way through dungeons.
In other news, the Headless Horseman is still a dick.
Also, if anyone reading this is a foodie, I’ve written reviews of two of the restaurants I went to in Las Vegas at the beginning of the month: Sage and Joel Robuchon. They were both excellent. I’ve also included lots of delicious pictures.