All WotLK raid content has been released and we’ve got nothing left to do but kill it over and over and over again until Cataclysm comes out. Now is as good a time as any to make my final best in slot list.
When Wrath raiding wraps up, I’d like my druid to look just like this. I’ve got 6 of the 16 pieces right now. Not a bad start.
Here’s the full list of what I consider to be best in slot for a resto druid with access to 25-man hard modes.
Weapon – Trauma (Rotface 25H) My opinion on Trauma has certainly changed over the last few months. Originally I thought it would be impossible to make up the haste I’d miss out on by using this, but it’s not too hard at all. The proc is great and can provide up to 10% of my healing on fights like Sindragosa.
Offhand – Sundial of Eternal Dusk (Sindragosa 25H)
Head – Sanctified Lasherweave Helmet – Though T10 is rather heavy on crit as opposed to haste, the 4-set bonus is well worth getting.
Neck – Bone Sentinel’s Amulet (Marrowgar 25H)
Shoulders – Shoulders of Frost-Tipped Thorns (Blood Prince Council 25H) *
Cloak – Greatcloak of the Turned Champion (Deathbringer Saurfang 25H)
Chest – Sanctified Lasherweave Robes *
Wrists – Phaseshifter’s Bracers (Halion 25H) – Leather spell power bracers are a myth.
Gloves – Sanctified Lasherweave Gauntlets
Waist – Professor’s Bloodied Smock – Professor Putricide 25H
Boots – Boots of Unnatural Growth (Gunship Battle 25H) *
Ring 1 – Ashen Band of Endless Wisdom (ICC Rep Ring)
Ring 2 – Memory of Malygos (Sindragosa 25H)
Trinket 1 – Althor’s Abacus (Gunship Battle 25H) – The proc on this provides only 2-3% of my healing on most fights, but since it’s a smart heal it’s always useful. The nice chunk of spell power is where this trinket really shines.
Trinket 2 – Solace of the Defeated (Lord Jaraxxus 25H – ToTC). 168 spell power and 144 mp5 which should stay up all the time. With this trinket I find mana a non-issue on most fights which makes me unwilling to give it up. Glowing Twilight Scale would provide a lot more spell power, but I’m not a fan of on-use trinkets (even though from what I’ve read, the use effect provides a huge amount of healing). I can’t really recommend this over Solace until I’ve tried it out.
Idol – Idol of the Black Widow (Frost Emblem vendor)
4.0.1 Edit: Ignore the following. With the leather specialization in play, we should never wear cloth.
* Note: If you are not adverse to wearing cloth, Sanguine Silk Robes (Blood Princes 25H) are slightly better itemized than the T10 chest. If you wear them with the T10 shoulders you will gain 13 spell power, 4 haste and 4 mp5 while casting at the cost of 26 crit rating (dependent on how you gem of course). Plague Scientist’s Boots are also an option, you’d gain spell power (as most reckless ametrines could be traded out for runed cardinal rubies) at the cost of crit and mana regen.
Now, I’ll admit that I have a few hang-ups when it comes to gear. I know there are people who disagree with me on some of these things, but I am far too stubborn to change.
- I hate seeing mp5 on gear. The only mp5 piece I wear is the Ashen Band of Endless Wisdom, and it’s only because of the nice spell power proc.
- I always gem for socket bonuses. I like when things match and the missing socket bonuses are an eyesore. Luckily most of the socket bonuses in resto druid gear are fairly good, and I need the haste from the yellow sockets anyway.
- I’m not overly concerned with being right at the haste cap. The setup I’ve listed here would give me 845 haste. I could replace a Reckless Ametrine with a Quick King’s Amber to bring me up to 855, but I don’t think I would ever be able to tell the difference in a raid.
- I will not wear cloth. I’m a complete snob about this – cloth is for priests. I am a proud leather-wearer.