Time for another vocabulary lesson! I haven’t been noticing too much misuse of the word roll lately, but I have been noticing a lot of confusion between definite and defiant.
Definite – Something that is certain or clearly defined
- “Yes, I definitely want to go kill the Lich King tonight.”
- “As a hunter, I have a definite advantage over everyone else.”
- “There are definitely no a’s in the word definite.”
Defiant – Hard to control and resistant to authority
- “The defiant druid refused to shift into tree form and dance.”
- “Yesterday I defiantly misdirected to the annoying rogue at every opportunity.”
When making a statement that you are certain about, unless it is in some way rebellious, you should definitely stop using the word defiantly.